Certified Colon Hydrotherapy by Brigitte
Can a colonic detox your body? Because of the modern diets full of animal proteins, processed food, fat and sugar, and stress, with constant pressure and lack of exercise, the colon becomes the repository of accumulated waste and toxins which disable the body’s purification system. The toxic material ends up re-entering our blood stream and getting deposited in our cells. As a result of this auto-intoxication we feel and act far below our potential and can become susceptible to disease.
Does it hurt?
For the vast majority of individuals who receive colonics, the procedure is free from pain. A minor amount of discomfort can be felt during the insertion of the speculum but this only lasts for a few seconds. During the treatment, you may feel some cramping in the stomach and occasionally clients feel slightly nauseous, whenever toxic waste detaches from the intestinal walls and leaves the body, particularly if you have a clogged up colon.
Is it Safe?
Colon hydrotherapy is very safe when performed by a qualified therapist. We only use FDA approved medical devices for the procedure and all of the equipment used is sterilized or disposable and the water goes through an advanced filtration process prior to entering the colon. Your therapist is an I-ACT (International Association of Colon Hydrotherapy) trained and certified and meet the highest professional and ethical standards. You are in very safe hands.
How can it help?
The benefits of colonics can include increased energy, improved circulation, clearer skin & eyes, mental clarity, weight normalizing, better digestion, relief from bloating and heaviness. By removing the waste material from the colon, the process of detoxification is given a boost and the harmful bacteria that is produced by encrusted fecal matter is removed from the body. Colon hydrotherapy helps your immune system to help itself, by giving it a chance to breathe and allow the lymph system to effectively cleanse your body. Colon hydrotherapy can assist the body with healing a variety of conditions: constipation, diarrhea, irritable bowel, bloating, excessive gas, indigestion, allergies, candida overgrowth, skin problems, brittle nails and hair, abnormal body odor, unpleasant breath, backache, stiffness, arthritis, fatigue, insomnia, poor concentration and headaches.
What about “friendly bacteria” being lost?
Healthy intestinal flora are present throughout the small and large intestines and colon hydrotherapy helps to improve their habitat, facilitating their reproduction and multiplication.
What is the difference between an enema and a colonic?
An enema is the procedure of introducing liquids into the colon, causing a rapid expansion of the lower intestinal tract which results in a powerful peristalsis and evacuation. It can often result in uncomfortable bloating & cramping and put a strain on the anus possibly resulting in hemorrhoids. By contrast, colonics involves the gentle inflow and outflow or warm water that slowly dissolves accumulated toxic material and encourage release naturally, without any undue stress on your system. Enemas only clean out the lower part of the colon, missing about four feet of the colon. To clean the entire colon, a colonic is necessary.
Will laxatives accomplish the same results?
Laxatives are an irritant to the body. Therefore, the body produces a thin, watery substance that goes through the colon and leaves behind impacted toxins and waste.
Is it embarrassing?
No. There is no odor from the bowel movements as the system is “closed” and your dignity is always maintained with proper draping in a private room.
How many treatments do I need?
Every person is different and changes in our lives create different stresses, so there is no standard number of treatments that are recommended. It depends on your personal health objectives. Even though a person feels relief even after an initial session, it is necessary to take additional colonics to sufficiently cleanse the colon. We suggest you book a single treatment initially and discuss with your therapist during the consultation what their recommendations are. In our experience we have found that a course of 3 treatments over an initial 1 week time frame produces the best results with regular maintenance thereafter.
How should I prepare for the colonic?
We recommend that you refrain from eating at least two hours prior to your appointment and ensure that you are well hydrated. If possible, a diet of vegetables and grains 2-3 days in advance rather than heavy foods will help prepare your colon for the treatment. Do not drink alcohol 24 hours in advance.
What happens during a colonic?
The procedure starts with the client lying on a comfortable therapy table. The therapist gently inserts a small disposable speculum into the rectum. (We only use completely sterile, disposable tools during the procedure.) The therapy begins with a gentle flow of filtered water using light pressure to allow the colon to be cleaned. The fecal matter and toxins are released into the colon and out the waste line, through the system and directly into the sewer line. Your therapist monitors the water pressure to ensure a relaxing and healing treatment experience. There is no odor because it is a closed system After some time the colon therapist will advise you to go into a private bathroom to release any residual waste.
Will one colonic completely empty the colon?
Typically, one colonic will not completely empty the colon. Many of us have a considerable amount of impacted feces in our colon. These are hardened, rubbery or wallpaper like material. Substantial work must be done to remove it. Moreover, there is a learning process that occurs when having a colonic. As you become more aware of what is going on in your abdomen, and as your body learns how to allow the cleansing experience, you are better able to enter into that process, and therefore more material is released. One colonic will move some of the stagnant waste in the colon. The second and subsequent colonics will remove more. How many you wish to have will depend on your personal objectives.
How will I feel afterwards? Colonics have a "relieving" effect. There may well be a feeling of lightness and internal cleanliness. People are often energized following a colonic. Many clients have reported clearer skin. Once the colon has been thoroughly cleansed then diet, exercise and other health programs will become many times more effective. Make sure you drink plenty of liquids, avoid raw vegetables, reduce consumption of meats for a couple of days. Steamed vegetables, fruit and soups are recommended.
Will I have regular bowel movements after a colonic?
The most common post-colonic experience is to have a light delay in bowel movements and then the resumption of a somewhat larger, easier to move stool. Sometimes if the colon is weak and sluggish, there may be no bowel movement for several days following a colonic. However, this is not due to the colonic, but because of the weakness of the colon. Rarely is diarrhea or loose bowels experienced. This may be due to the extra water introduced into the colon. If it should occur, it is usually of very short duration.
Colon cleansing can help improve your body’s overall health and wellness, and may even reduce your risks for colon cancer.
1. MAKES THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM MORE EFFECTIVE As the colon is cleansed, it pushes waste through your system, clearing the way for good nutrient absorption. A clean colon from a colon detox allows waste to pass easily.
2. MAINTAINS REGULARITY AND PREVENTS CONSTIPATION Constipation — especially when it's chronic — causes a sluggish digestive response, which in turn leaves waste in the system longer. This increases the likelihood of certain conditions and irritations, such as hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
3. INCREASES ENERGY Releasing the toxins from your body is rejuvenating because it refocuses the energy usually used for forcing waste through your intestines to other parts of your body. People who have undergone colon detoxification say they have better blood circulation, more restful sleep, and a boost in energy.
4. INCREASES THE BODY'S ABSORPTION OF VITAMINS AND NUTRIENTS A colon that's been cleansed allows only water, vitamins and nutrients to be absorbed into the bloodstream, creating an unobstructed path for essential nutrients to filter into your body.
5. IMPROVES CONCENTRATION Poor diet and ineffective vitamin absorption can cause you to become distracted and lose your concentration. The buildup of mucous and toxins in your colon can keep your body from getting what it needs to function, even if you eat a consistently healthy diet. Cleansing the colon with a detox diet can be the difference between feeling alert and not being able to focus. This has far-reaching ramifications for work, your relationships, and your overall health.
6. KICK-STARTS WEIGHT LOSS Foods lacking in fiber move through the digestive tract at one-quarter the pace of high-fiber choices. This slow-moving food produces excess mucous that literally sticks to the intestinal walls, weighing the intestinal tract down with pounds of decaying fecal matter. Colon cleansing has the potential to aid weight loss; some people claim to have lost up to 20 pounds over the course of a month. The average human colon weighs about four pounds empty and can hold up to eight meals' worth of food before digestion finally occurs. A colon cleansing can result in significant weight loss and kick-start your metabolism, as well as refocus your attention on better food choices and whole-body wellness.
7. DECREASES RISK OF COLON CANCER All the toxins that you eat, drink, breathe, and absorb through your skin end up processed by your gastrointestinal system, kidneys, and liver. If they're not forced from your organs as quickly as possible, they can wreak havoc on your body's systems. By releasing stagnant body waste, you reduce the causes and the risk of polyps, cysts and cancerous growths in your colon and gastrointestinal tract.
8. INCREASES FERTILITY Colon cleansing, as well as increased fiber intake and healthy food choices, improves regularity and helps keep your weight under control. Fat is estrogen-based, and if too much is present, becoming pregnant becomes more difficult. A colon that is weighed down by years of buildup can also press on the uterus and surrounding reproductive organs in women, causing strain. Colon cleansing rids the body of many chemicals and toxins that affect the egg and sperm. Many naturopaths recommend that both partners undergo colon cleansing before attempting pregnancy.
9. MAINTAINS PH BALANCE IN THE BLOODSTREAM Foods that cause colon blockages are acid-forming — particularly high-protein diets without enough fiber. This leads to general malaise in the body. The colon's tissue eventually becomes inflamed, reducing its ability to do its job, which is to allow only water, minerals and vitamins to pass into the bloodstream. If yeasts, molds, fungus, bacteria, parasites or fecal material enter the bloodstream and connected tissue, the body's pH will be thrown out of balance.
10. IMPROVES WHOLE-BODY WELL-BEING Ridding the colon of waste and toxins by releasing layers of colon buildup can lead to feelings of lightness, increased energy, and overall good health.
The therapy of the colon (large intestine) and its benefits have been known and practiced for hundreds of years. Dating back to ancient times, enemas were recorded as early as 1500 B.C., in an Egyptian medical document called the “Eber Papyrus”. Hippocrates, Pare and Galen also advanced the use of enema therapy. In earlier times, people implemented enema treatments in a river by using a hollow reed to induce water to flow into the rectum. At an early time in America… Enemas were a commonly used procedure to help maintain health and stave off disease. For example, before the departure of the Lewis and Clarke expedition, a physician instructed them in the appropriateness of using enemas in cases of fever and illness. Our grandparents and great-grandparents grew up with the use of enemas as a widely accepted procedure for reversing the onset of illness. In the early 1900’s in Battle Creek, Michigan… John H. Kellogg, M.D., extensively used colon therapy on some forty thousand of his patients. In 1917 he reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association — that in all but 20 cases — he used no surgery for the treatment of gastrointestinal disease in his patients. “In times past, knowledge of the bowel was more widespread and people were taught how to care for the bowel. Somehow, bowel wisdom got lost and it became something that no one wanted to talk about anymore.” Bernard Jensen, D.C. The popularity of colon therapy reached its apex in the 1920’s, 30’s and 40’s. At that time, colon irrigation machines were commonly seen, and regularly used as a standard practice, in hospitals and Doctor’s offices. But in the ensuing 50 to 60 years the public’s use of, and access to, this valuable health treatment greatly decreased. The public’s present lack of knowledge regarding this, and other personal health care treatments, together with the widely held belief by orthodox medicine . . . that such treatments are no longer useful . . . may be the single most important factor in the current ill-health of our population. Proper bowel management and health will never be achieved through the use of drugs and / or surgery. The answer lies in a time-proven and natural approach… Colon (Hydro) therapy! In the last 10 years there has been a resurgence of interest in alternative medicine and personal health care responsibility. Once again people are discovering the many health benefits of maintaining a strong and biologically sound colon. This return to using colon therapy has been bolstered by the development of sophisticated colon therapy Techniques, which make these therapies both safe and convenient. It is hoped the grass roots movement towards personal health responsibility, using alternative health therapies to restore and maintain superior health . . will be joined by traditional health care practitioners.
Born in Heidelberg, Germany. Brigitte became a globetrotter at a very early age. Her military family took her from Germany to Kansas, Korea, Washington State, Utah, Nebraska and beyond.
After graduating from Valley High School (Draper, Utah) in 1984, she went on to California where she completed certification in Art Instruction in 1998 as part of her passion as an artist, drawing faces in pencil. She returned to Utah in 2000 and worked in finish carpentry and sheet metal earning a 3-G Certification for welding in 2005.
Brigitte knew she wanted a healthy work environment as well as an opportunity to begin cleansing and healing her own body. In her search, Brigitte found the wonderful benefits of colon hydrotherapy/colonics and thought this would be a great start for her body and a new career! It was the perfect match! She was off to school in Florida to be certified as a CHT (Colon Hydrotherapist) and certification with membership with the International Association for Colon Hydrotherapy (I-ACT) in April of 2006.
Brigitte worked with Karen at HealthWave for eight years, after which Karen decided to take a break and passed the torch to Brigitte. "She is a complete 'natural' as a healer in colonic therapy. Her passion, love and joy for others pursuing their health endeavors is a treasure..."
Brigitte was reunited with her dear friend from her teens, Glade, in October 2013 and quickly found he IS the love of her life. They live in S.E. Murray, Utah where she also does her Colon Hydrotherapy.
When you come for your session, you'll find a very comfortable energy in their home.
Brigitte loves her work and can't wait to assist you!
Certified Member- I-ACT
(International Association for Colon Hydrotherapy)
Practicing Colon Hydrotherapy since 2006
Utah Business License
*I do my best to accommodate for life's sometimes hectic schedules. If you can give me 1 weeks notice I am able to maintain a flexible 7 day service week.